The mission of FIRST is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting Mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities. Make a difference in thousands of students’ lives. Create an impact on the workforce of tomorrow. Become a member of our passionate employee base working to make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education accessible to all students around the world.
The Field Operations team, including FIRST Volunteers and Regional Directors throughout the world, works locally to collaborate and support FIRST’s four programs and offer passionate volunteers and youth participants life-changing, engaging event experiences. The goal is to create and maintain a volunteer driven, self-sustaining group of leaders that will support the growth objectives for all programs in the region with a focus on engaging schools, cultivating local relationships and fundraising.
The FIRST Regional Director in Utah will work part-time in a home office environment, traveling at times throughout the region to develop teams, establish and maintain sponsor relationships and collaborate with other FIRST leaders and volunteers in the area as well as program staff. The Regional Director will be responsible for the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Regional Competition(s) in a specific region.
Essential Job Duties:
• Act as primary representative for FIRST in the region, and primary liaison between the regional committees, the VP of Field Operations, and other FIRST staff.
• Recruit and support a local Executive Advisory Board. Work with the Executive Advisory Board to create a regional business plan in support of the strategies and objectives of the FIRST Business Plan, which will provide for the long term direction, support and expansion of the programs in their region(s).
• Develop, and support Regional Planning Committee members in all the committee activities necessary to conduct a successful competition. Ensure the committees and competitions follow the appropriate FIRST standards and guidelines.
• Lead the effort to recruit FRC teams to meet target growth numbers and for ongoing support to achieve sustainability.
• Support the effort to conduct monthly joint Operating Committee meetings with the FRC Committee Chairs, FLL and FTC partners, FIRST Senior Mentor(s) and VISTA Members (if applicable) to help facilitate communication in the region.
• Provide direction and assistance to the FIRST Senior Mentor(s) and VISTA Members as applicable.
• Work with the Executive Advisory Board, the FRC Planning Committee, to cover the expenses associated with the execution of the FRC competition.
• Cultivate relationships with local chapters of professional organizations (such as ASME, IEEE, SWE), local school administrators, community leaders, universities, etc.
• Coordinate ‘off-season’ events (VIP, volunteer and team recruitment) as applicable.
• Provide defined monthly progress reports, expense reports and other reports as required by the VP and Manager of Field Operations and FIRST policies.
• Work with the local business, school and government communities to increase awareness of the FIRST mission.
• Other responsibilities as defined by the VP and Manager of Field Operations.
• B.A. in a related discipline
• 3-5 years of proven fundraising experience in a non-profit or for-profit business;
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Financial and budget management skills
• Customer service and troubleshooting skills
• Strong analytical and planning skills
• A willingness and ability to travel
• Experience and knowledge of FIRST is a plus
• The ability to manage multiple priorities