Who We Are
The world’s #1 child-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education outcomes and the development of 21st Century life skills. Over the past 25 years, millions of young people from across the globe have completed FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) programs, changing the world by becoming the new generation of innovators, problem-solvers, and technology leaders. This legacy and opportunity is as strong and dynamic as ever. FIRST creates the people who will change the world – today and tomorrow. For more information on the impact of FIRST, click here.
About this Role
If you’re ready to join a team that’s passionate about leveling the playing field with all youth in STEM and leveraging the right skill sets to make it a reality, this is exactly what you’ve been looking for! We are looking for someone who demonstrates sustained personal and professional engagement with underrepresented and under served youth and their communities and has a passion for supporting Diversity & Inclusion initiatives. This role manages the FIRST VISTA Program and helps advance FIRST’s strategic Pillar focused on increasing Diversity and Inclusion and creating Equity. The VISTA Specialist works to leverage the VISTA Program to progress D&I goals while supporting VISTA members in fulfilling their roles in the field, thereby making the VISTA program and FIRST programs more sustainable and effective.
In return, we promise a fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding environment where you will be part of a team that cares about each other and thrives on each other’s successes. You’ll feel good about the future of the world after doing hard work with the talented people at FIRST and will have a front row seat to our life changing programs.
Reports to: Manager, Field and Volunteer Support Services.
- Spearhead efforts between D&I and FIRST VISTA Program to enhance existing collaboration with the FIRST VISTA Program and seek new ways to leverage FIRST VISTA Programs, amplify the utilization of VISTA member collaborative projects and initiatives, and execute other FIRST D&I strategic initiatives.
- Oversee VISTA Management Team (VMT) in all aspects of the VISTA member recruitment process.
- Lead VMT in payroll verification process and assist Field and Volunteer Support Manager with VISTA expense report processing/compliance and ongoing budget planning.
- Guide VMT in planning and implementing yearly VISTA member orientation ensuring content includes D&I topics.
- Lead VMT in maintaining/updating databases, communication documents, process documents, internal team training resources, and reporting mechanisms.
- Support VMT in Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) reporting compliance, VISTA reporting compliance, required paperwork for member placement, Host site selection, and other required reporting both internal and external.
- Lead inclusion of VISTA Program member’s participation at Championship(s) and Community Conference to amplify impact on VISTA's, D&I and FIRST Community.
Qualifications and Experience:
- BA or Master’s degree in STEM fields or STEM Education, public administration/policy, youth development, equity/diversion/inclusion or related fields plus at least 2 years of work experience; or minimum 5 years of directly related work experience
- Experience with working on a national service program or with facilitating a federally funded grant; preferably AmeriCorps VISTA Program experience
- Experience with work at home project management/remote communication/accountability using Outlook, OneNote, SharePoint, Skype for Business, or similar tools; and/or willing to relocate to the Southern NH/Boston area.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and databases is required
- Requires some travel to support FIRST Championships and other events as assigned