The mission of FIRST® is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting Mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities. Make a difference in thousands of students' lives. Create an impact on the workforce of tomorrow. Become a member of our passionate employee base working to make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education accessible to all students around the world.
Our Finance department is expanding and is in need of an Accounting Specialist. Our Accounting Specialists have an integral role providing financial support for all FIRST programs. In this role, the right candidate is responsible for using their knowledge of “donor intent” to ensure that all grants applied to teams’ financial records are in accordance with the donor’s wishes. The ability to maintain a high degree of tact, diplomacy, and accuracy while handling multiple competing demands is needed. Additionally, the right candidate will be working cross-team with other Finance department colleagues on special projects and at times of high volume. Providing high-quality customer service and promoting Gracious Professionalism® are top priorities.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
• Work closely with Development and Finance to ensure grant application is appropriate and donor intent is consistently followed
• Oversee grant records & retention compliance in accordance with both internal control and external governance
• Verify and Process all team re-grants (cross program)
• Monthly processing of journal entries to reconcile pass through team grant accounts (re-grant related)
• Oversee W9 database records for accurate IRS reporting and internal control
• Assist General Accounting Manager in the preparation of TRNA worksheets for financial reporting
• Assist in the development of system for electronically filing journal entries.
• In periods of high volume, assist the finance group with customer service as assigned (typically during payment deadlines)
• Front line answering phone and email inquiries; responds to high volume timely and accurately
• Provides potential customers with information on programs and FIRST related to Finance
• Promotes high-quality customer service standards throughout the organization
• BA/BS and minimum of 1-2 years of experience in same or similar role
• Working knowledge of Microsoft® Office suite, (Excel, Word, Outlook)