Title: Information Technology/Web Application Development Director
Report to: Vice President of Strategy & Impact
The mission of FIRST® is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting Mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities. Make a difference in thousands of students’ lives. Create an impact on the workforce of tomorrow. Become a member of our passionate employee base working to make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education accessible to all students around the world.
FIRST is seeking a Director to oversee our Information Technology function. Reporting to the Vice President of Strategy and Impact, the Director will be responsible for overseeing the organization’s Web Application Development, Infrastructure, and IT Support functions. The major emphasis of this role is on effective management and ongoing development of FIRST ecommerce websites, including those used to register FIRST Teams, Volunteers, and Students. The ideal candidate has a strong web application / web product development background and possesses excellent internal client relationship management, communications, and critical thinking skills. This is a full-time position located in Manchester, NH.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
- Support the FIRST strategic objective to improve the ease of engagement for FIRST participants (mentors, students, volunteers) and donors (corporate sponsors, foundations, and individual donors).
- Provide leadership and direction to a team charged with developing and supporting FIRST web and ecommerce applications, internal business applications, and supporting data center and cloud- based infrastructure.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers and product owners. Gather input from internal customers and field staff on strategic IT/web application development requirements. Keep internal customers informed of progress against goals and effectively resolve issues as they arise.
- Oversee 11 staff members in the web application development, infrastructure, and help desk teams.
- Manage and orchestrate the IT and application development governance / prioritization process.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the IT function including budgeting, capacity planning, and staff development.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of FIRST.
- Strong critical thinking skills, able to challenge conventional thinking and development pragmatic solutions to business and technology challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a 5 to 10-person ecommerce / web application development team, ideally in an Agile environment. Knowledge of responsive web/mobile application development frameworks and approaches.
- Strong communication skills; able to communicate effectively and empathize with key internal and external stakeholders. Ability to manage and facilitate an IT / application development governance model consisting of senior and middle management leaders.
- Strong leaderships skills, having a demonstrated capacity to inspire and motivate a team to achieve exceptional results.
- Strong business process analysis skills; experience using business process improvement, lean/six sigma, kaizen, or other business process improvement methodologies.
- Experience with integrating in-house developed, package-based (ERP), and SaaS/cloud-based applications (such as Saleforce.com or Hubspot). Knowledge of content management systems and business intelligence and analytic/reporting platforms is a plus.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices associated with infrastructure management in on-premise, co-located, and cloud-based environments is desirable. Familiarity with information security best practices desirable.
- Strong project management skills; familiar with project management best practices.
- 10+ years of work experience, with 3+ years of experience in an IT or web application development management role.
- High energy, able to work both at both a strategic and hands-on level.
- Prior work experience in a non-profit or education-related organization a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience.