Who We Are
The world’s #1 child-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education outcomes and the development of 21st Century life skills. Over the past 25 years, millions of young people from across the globe have completed FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) programs, changing the world by becoming the new generation of innovators, problem-solvers, and technology leaders. This legacy and opportunity is as strong and dynamic as ever. FIRST creates the people who will change the world – today and tomorrow.
About this Role
FIRST is looking for an individual that will hold a cross-functional role with various departments in the organization, in researching and supporting transactional sales taxes. This person will perform detailed tax research, analysis, and review of sales tax returns. The position is also responsible for organization and retention of the company’s sales tax records and supporting multi-state sales tax audits. Also responds to government notices, performs reconciliation of returns to general ledger and tax revenue accounts, and provides ad-hoc financial analysis and support within the G&A and Finance departments. You will be successful in this role if you operate with a high level of confidence, integrity and sound judgement and are capable of establishing beneficial relationships with FIRST’s key internal and external customers. We are looking for a problem solver who has excellent overall communication skills and has the tenacity and drive to meet deadlines with attention to detail and accuracy. The ideal candidate will have a customer centric attitude and a strong commitment to work collaboratively in a team environment.
In return, we promise a fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding environment where you will be part of a team that cares about each other and thrives on each other’s successes. You’ll feel good about the future of the world after doing hard work with the talented people at FIRST and will have a front row seat to our life changing programs.
Reports to: Director, Planning & Administration
- Approves or rejects exemption certificates by conducting research and obtaining any additional documentation based upon analysis of various state sales tax rules governing exemption certificates
- Interprets and provides guidance on transaction tax laws and regulations as it relates to customers claiming exempt sales & determining proper transaction tax treatment on invoicing.
- Maintains exemption certificate database of new/existing customers’ taxability in our Exemption Certificate Manager (CertCapture) and Tax Determination Software (AvaTax).
- Changes and monitors tax flags in CertCapture, Avalara and internal systems
- Answers phone and email inquiries regarding sales tax exemption
- Keeps records of customer interactions, recording details of inquiries, complaints and comments, as well as, any corrective actions taken
- Analyzes tax trends to determine current numbers reasonableness for annual service level purchase orders
- Reviews customer transactions for accuracy of sales tax calculations. Reconciling tax data exported from Avalara to our financial system data
- Identifies any variances to be researched and resolved
- Performs research with respect to sales tax notices and responds as needed
- Performs monthly reconciliation process, internal audit requests, sales tax audit information requests and sales tax return reconciliations. Reconciles Transaction tax general ledger accounts
- Reviews customer orders, ensuring correct transaction tax is charged on invoice
- Researches tax discrepancies & processes customer’s tax credits
- Assists with refund claims of State and Local taxing authorities
- Assists with transaction tax audits
- Promotes, researches, and assists in the implementation of any automation opportunities
- At times, this person will be needed to assist Finance with accounts receivable, collections and customer service. There may be interactions with both internal and external customers, providing financial support for all of FIRST's programs, including, but not limited to team registration fees, financial policies, and purchase orders.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of same or similar related work experience. Bachelor’s degree in accounting, tax, finance or related field preferred
- CPA designation and/or MST a plus
- Computer literacy and advanced skills in the use of accounting/tax software along with a strong working knowledge of Excel. Pivot tables is a plus.
- Must possess an understanding of state and local tax laws, controversy experience and financial reporting
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to work independently toward multiple concurrent deadlines are essential to this position
- Transaction Tax (Sales) knowledge preferred
- Knowledge of Tax Software such as Avalara (CertCapture), AvaTax determination or similar software package preferred
- Experience negotiating audit settlements preferred